Monday, May 21, 2012

It's a New Day

It is a new day...and just as I remind DJ to "check your attitude", I am reminded that I should do the same. It has been a rough few months since Easter. I'm not sure what flipped the trigger for the kids to cycle into troublesome behaviors....usually they take turns, but this time EVERYONE flipped out. I am tired of guessing why. When I go to the "little Blessings Support Group" I am reminded that I am not alone and that it could always be worse. A family from our group lost their daughter to her disease in April. Every time I go to group I am biting my cheek so that I don't all out bawl. Anyway, it is a new day and I have a choice to make as far as how to handle myself in a difficult situation. One thing is is that my voice is pretty much gone as I have been sick for the past week or so. I suppose if the kids want to hear me they will have to get real close, lol. Alayna is all finished with her school work for the year! I am so happy to let her off the hook!!!! Seth is a few lessons from being done and DJ has a whole lot of work to do still. My newest idea for behavior reform is to put scripture mastery on index cards...file them for behaviors that correlate. When a behavior arises...like lying, I would have them pull that card, copy it, recite it, or work on memorizing it. I want to be careful not to cast a negative shadow on the gospel, however, we are trying to teach gospel principles and it only makes sense to intertwine it somehow. Plus, I am exhausted from going over it verbally. It is our hope to have law abiding citizens with good moral character someday. DJ now has a skills trainer who is coming to the house to meet with him a few days a week. I don't mind her coming and working with him, but she also wants to pull me aside for part of the time to learn collaborative problem solving skills. Actually, I have wanted to take that specific class. The kids make it difficult to turn my attention to another adult in the home. What I really want her to do is take DJ off my hands for the 2 hours so I can have a mental and emotional break without having to exert energy to learning more material. I think this is just because I am exhausted. Normally I am very accepting of learning new things.

No comments: