Sunday, September 7, 2008

PCOS

PCOS....the end. Just kidding. Sometimes I really don't know how to start a post very well. Anyone who knows me personally also knows that I can chat up a storm. It's just so different to write about things. For one, I'm not sure anyone who reads this even cares about PCOS. I have it, my neighbor has it, and our family helper just found out she has it. Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. A few sysptoms would be rapid weight gain, less then 4-6 cycles a year, elevated testosterone levels, infertility, excess hair growth on face, etc. I think about 10 percent of woman struggle with this. In some ways I am grateful for this adventure with PCOS and how it has affected my life. I am able to understand the frustration and heartache that my close friends are going through...well, because I'm right there with them. Yes...people...it is true, some people are fat because of hormone dysfunction. If PCOS girls want to lose weight, they must undergo a stric diet low in carbs, no sugar, low glycemeic veggies, etc. I did well over a year ago and lost around 60 punds in 4 months. 4 months was all I had in me to continue with the diet...ever since I have been rebelling like crazy and putting the weight back on! One of these days I am going to have to accept that it is a "lifestyle" change and treat it lile the disease it is...PCOS stinks, but it's effect on the body can be minimized by following a painful diet. I should mention that after having no cycles for over a year, once I followed the diet for a while I was able to have a cycle on my own :-). There are some exceptions to the rule. John and Kate plus 8...she is a fellow PCOSer, but she doesn't have the weight problems assoiated with it. Another exception is Amands, she is super thin. My OBGYN did state that 99% of his PCOS patients were obese. Anyway...I need to pshyc myself up to get back on the diet. One thing that could keep me going is the thought that Drew and I may actually have another chance to have a baby if I could stick with the diet and be faithful to the rules. My neighbor saud she would follow the diet too if I let her know about it. She also agreed to go walking in the evenings (as soon as Drew is done with boards). Walking is about all I can do in the cardio department. The back is doing fairly well lately....the feet hurt though. I've got some serious infalmmation in both feet, pain similar to plantarfaciaitis. Well, it is almost 1am! I have been up sewing together a cute Autum dress for the girls. I was just going to make 1 for them to share...however I made a mistake and had to get more fabric, so I suppose I will be making 2. They are going to be soooo cute though! They have pumpkins on them :-). I may try to aplique pumpkins on some denim color fabric and see how that looks too. Anyway, bed is calling.

No comments: