Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Homeschool

It has been a crazy few weeks trying to recover from Christmas break. Joe had a Dr.'s appointment today during homeschool time. The older kids had counseling this afternoon. I think we all survived without adding the homeschool element to our day. It's hard to let go of my pre-formed expectations of how each day should unfold with regards to homeschooling. Alayna hasn't been doing well with our method of homeschooling. We do take a formal approach with regards to working in books; however, we also do a lot of group activities along with a unit study. Alayna seems to be leaning towards a preference of Unschooling. Unfortunately, with 5 kids to think about I have to do the approach that is working for the majority of the group. Alayna is young enough still that I feel she can wait a while until she feels ready to work in the workbooks. I will not let her off the hook from our opening exercises which include: songs, prayer, devotional, and a group game or unit study activity. I don't have the emotional or physical strength to go to battle with her on the workbook elements.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I hope Joe is ok!!

It'll all work out. She is really young anyways to get into worksheets. Joseph NEVER liked worksheets until 1st grade. And he still will not do them unless he has too. I remember when I bought Explode The Code workbooks for he and Emma when he was 5 and she was 4. I had to tape $1 bill on the last page for him to go through it at the rate he should have (3 a day). I got that idea from Diane and Latter Day Family Resources.

Emma on the other hand, she LOVED and still loves doing worksheets. She would finish the ETC workbooks in a week. Joseph took an entire month.

Gretchen has said the same thing. Lauren will come home from school and make up worksheets. Her other kids wouldn't.

You'll find what will work with her. Just keep at it. You are doing fabulous girl!