Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mother & Baby Bonding

I never imagined in a million years what it in reality felt like to have a (biological) child. The emotions I have felt since the beginning of my pregnancy up until currently are more than anything I can really explain. I feel connected in a strange way to other mothers. It's like they feel it too. So I'm trying to put into perspective the mother baby bond in relation to the love a husband and wife share. It's hard because my husband and I have been through so much in the last 5 or 6 years. We had a heap of joy and stress placed on our lives upon receiving the 4 children (at once) and then going through a pregnancy and additional birth. We aren't as spunky, fun, light hearted, or romantic as we used to be. I really miss that side of us and I fear it has been dimmed by the daily stresses and demands of our current situation. Is this side of our relationship going to be messed up forever? I hope we can get it back. I'll say that we have a pretty solid marriage ...however, neither of us are finding a way to keep it nourished. It's hard work taking care of 5 little kids...and then to add their special needs and my physical issues, along with Drew's school/career stress...ugg. It's like we can't get our heads above the water long enough to stop and enjoy each others company. I bet bringing children into a marriage changes marriage for just about everyone.

2 comments:

the sheldons said...

All you can do is work at it, my friend. Keep doing things like you did this past weekend.

Sara said...

I don't think we ever argued really before we had Reilly. It's just one more thing in life that used to come easily and now has to be worked for. And sometimes it's hard to see it ever working out. I guess we just have to keep trying and have faith that it will.